Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Moving On: 3 thoughts on the new year

 I'm really not sad to see 2013 go. If life had a reset button, I would have pushed it several times this year.

I wasn't planning on adding to the many New Year's blogs already circulating, but as I sat to compose my feelings it was more than I could fit into a tweet (Who made the decision to limit Twitter to 140 characters anyway?). 

The S.O. song "Lows and Highs" best sums up the last year of my life.


 


The Lassiter family has had its share of lows and highs this year. From the publishing of Chris' first book and amazing trip to Bermuda to job loss and a situation where we could only weep and pray reminding ourselves of Exodus 14 (where God promises to fight for his people as they sit in silence).

For me personally, it was the year I made the choice to truly forgive the men who took the life of a friend and started the process of reconciliation by corresponding with them through mail. Tonight also marks 13 years since I walked away from my old life with no regrets. 

Here are three things I'm thinking about and praying through as I look to 2014:


  1. What have I learned through this year that I want to take with me into the next one? We've seen God really fight for us this year as we faced situations that we couldn't handle on our own. In the Old Testament, God had his people set up memorials so they'd never forget all he'd done for them. On a day where I was losing hope, I came across a note card from the last time we were in a tough financial situation. I had written all the ways God had miraculously provided through people in our lives and it was a great reminder when I needed it most. While this has been a really tough year, we've also seen people come together to provide for our family in unbelievable ways. I think it's time to make another note card.
  2. Is there anyone else I need to forgive? You can read more about my journey to forgiveness here. This year, I understood more clearly the need to truly forgive and the consequences of refusing to do so. Unforgiveness is like locking yourself in a prison and arming yourself with a shank - ready to attack the people closest to you for what your offender did to you. We often believe the lie that our offender holds the key to our freedom, while in reality the key to our cell is in our possession all along. We just have to make the decision to use it. As I head into this next year, I'm praying for God to show me others I need to forgive to move into 2014 free and safer for those who love me. 
  3. What am I doing with the new life I've been given? I'll never forget that New Year's Eve service (back in 2000) where I heard about and accepted the offer of a second chance. As I reflect on Jesus giving his life for me, I'm asking myself if I really give my all for him. If I only have one shot at this earthly life, then I want it to count. I want to take every opportunity to point others to the hope that found me and to be intentional about making Jesus famous through the platform I've been given. I'm taking some time today to pray for more opportunities in 2014 to do just that.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I've written or some things that you're thinking through as we head into the new year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment