Saturday, December 21, 2013

A plea to my American friends in the faith: Why Duck Dynasty should not be our main focus.



The same day the Duck Dynasty story began circulating on social media and major news networks, another story was shared that has been overshadowed by the Duck Dynasty craze. This was the headline: "Nearly 1,000 Killed Over 2 Days in Central African Republic." You can read more about it here.


Did you read that story? I probably wouldn't have if I didn't see a tweet about it from a young woman I know who is there. As days have passed, I see many of my friends in the faith outraged and taking a stand against the suspension of Phil Robertson. Today, I saw petitions were circulating and faith-based groups were calling for boycotts. Yet, I have hardly seen any posts or calls for action over the murders of nearly 1,000 people made in the image of our God.

This post is a plea to the American church to wake up to what's happening outside of our American Christian bubble. I hope this will not feel like an attack, but more a call for change from someone with a heart just like yours. Believe me, I know what it is to wrestle with a Christian worldview that is filtered through American lenses. We are born with a nature that instinctively turns inward and honestly it's easier to fight for things that affect us directly.

I pray we as a church would begin to view the world through God's eyes and not just our own. I pray our hearts would break for the things that break God's heart and not just our own (Even if those issues push against what many of our friends in the faith believe or focus on). I pray we would not be side-tracked by trivial things that will not affect our eternity or that of others. In the end, that's all that really matters in this world that's not our home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment