Thursday, September 17, 2015

Thank you, little girl: A letter to my "unplanned" child

I never could have imagined as I flipped through the pages of that fetal development book how you would impact my life. I still remember the shock and fear I felt when I learned I was pregnant. Some feelings and memories don't fade with time. I also remember the determination I gained when I learned that you had a beating heart and were a living being. The advice of others to end your life fell on deaf ears after that day in the university library.

I didn't have a plan, but I knew that you were my child and I would fight for you. I didn't always get it all right, but God has carried us through. I never would have imagined myself where I am today and a lot of that change I owe to you. You changed me, little girl, and I am grateful that you did. Becoming a mother forced me to grow up and take responsibility for not only your life but my own.

Some said I was throwing away my future by dropping out of college to become a mother. It's true, my decision to keep you did cost me a college education and did change my future, but that other future was never mine anyway. Being your mom is worth far more than anything I lost in this process. This journey has taught me more than I could ever learn from a professor or book. It wasn't a loss, but a gain.

So I'm writing this on your seventeenth birthday to say thank you, sweet girl. Thank you for interrupting the life I thought I wanted, to give me the life I was made for. Our struggle not only birthed a baby but a determination that other young moms wouldn't have to walk the same road I did. God wrote you into my story to teach me that I couldn't do life on my own, but desperately needed his help. Don't ever believe for a minute that you were an accident. He planned you all along.

As I reflect on the struggles and joys, I want you to know that it was all worth it. Every struggle and every perceived loss. I don't have any regrets in my decision. You are more than I could have ever asked for and I am so proud of the woman you are becoming. I'm grateful that God pens our stories far more beautifully than we ever could. I'm enjoying watching him write yours. Love you, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment